To: Members of the University Community
From: Eric M. Heath, Associate Vice President for Safety & Security
Subject: Autumn Safety Update
Date: October 3, 2018
With the Autumn Quarter underway, I would like to take this opportunity to share an update on a new safety resource, as well as reminders regarding safety and transportation from the Department of Safety & Security. Regular updates on efforts to enhance campus security as well as extensive resources can be found on the Department of Safety & Security’s website.
The Department of Safety & Security is pleased to announce the launch of UChicago Safe, the University of Chicago’s free mobile safety application. Developed by the Campus Safety Division, the app provides safety and security services on your cell phone, including:
- Similar to an emergency “blue light” phone, the app simultaneously sends your location and initiates a call to the University of Chicago Police Department (UCPD)
- Reporting of incidents or tips via in-app forms, real-time chats or voice calls
- 911-calling capability for life threatening situations
The app also provides preparation tips in case of an emergency and links to transportation information across campus. Links to support resources including medical and counseling resources, as well as student emergency resources such as Deans-on-Call and the Bias Education & Support Team (BEST) are also provided via the app. You can download the app at safety-security.uchicago.edu.
Emergency and Crime Communication
In addition to our website, the University provides a number of methods to communicate safety information to the campus community:
- For life-threatening emergencies, the University uses a system called cAlert, which warns every member of the campus community with automated calls to desk and cell phones, text messages, and emails. To ensure that these important messages reach you, log onto calert.uchicago.edu.
- For crimes occurring on or adjacent to campus that present a specific threat but do not require immediate action, the University sends out an all-campus security alert message. Visit safety-security.uchicago.edu to read the security alert guidelines.
- For those concerned about off-campus crime occurring in the UCPD extended patrol area that is reported to UCPD, several new opt-in resources are available. Click here to learn more about and opt-in for these resources.
Fire and Life Safety Training
The Environmental Health and Safety Office (EHS) recently updated its video-based training program to educate the University community on fire safety and evacuation procedures. The Fire Safety Training program is required annually for all full-time employees, students working in laboratories, and part-time employees working at least 1,950 hours. To see a list and register for classes offered by EHS, please visit safety.uchicago.edu.
The Transportation and Parking website offers a comprehensive list of transportation options to navigate the University and surrounding communities. For the latest information, including updated route maps including recent changes to the CTAs 171 and 172, visit transportation.uchicago.edu.
If you have any questions or concerns about campus safety, I encourage you to contact our team. I wish you a safe and productive year.
Eric M. Heath