To: The Campus Community
From: Eric M. Heath, Associate Vice President for Safety & Security
Subject: Autumn Safety Update
Date: October 18, 2017
With the Autumn Quarter underway, I would like to take this opportunity to share some news and a few reminders about safety and transportation from the Department of Safety & Security. Regular updates on efforts to enhance campus security as well as extensive resources can be found on the Department of Safety & Security’s website. Additionally, the new Fire Safety policy is now online as well as updates to the Safety of Children in University Programs policy.
In addition to our website, the University provides a number of methods to communicate safety information to the campus community:
- For life-threatening emergencies, the University uses a system called cAlert, which warns every member of the campus community with automated calls to desk and cell phones, text messages, and emails. To ensure that these important messages reach you, log onto calert.uchicago.edu.
- For crimes that present a specific threat but do not require immediate action, the University sends out an all-campus security alert message. Click here to read the security alert guidelines.
- To track crime and police activity in the UCPD’s patrol area, a full log is posted each day at incidentreports.uchicago.edu.
- Transportation & Parking Services needs your feedback to help ensure the University’s transit needs are being met. Please participate in a brief transportation and commuting survey by clicking here.
- New shuttles will soon be arriving on campus that will provide a smoother ride, improved technology, and other enhancements for riders. For the latest information, including updated route maps, visit transportation.uchicago.edu.
Environmental Health and Safety and the Office of Research Safety jointly produced a new central reporting system for all accidents and incidents that occur on campus. UCAIR, the University of Chicago Accident & Incident Reporting system, allows anyone at the University to electronically report accidents or other incidents. To access the system or to learn more, visit ucair.uchicago.edu. The UCAIR app will be available for download later in October for Android and Apple (iOS) users.
If you have any questions or concerns about campus safety, I encourage you to contact our team. I wish you a safe and productive year.