Being aware of your surroundings and prepared for unexpected situations goes hand-in-hand with city life. We encourage you to make safety practices an important part of all your daily routines.
In Case of Emergency
- Dial 911 to reach city emergency services.
- Dial 123 from any campus phone to reach UCPD.
- Dial 773.702.8181 from any phone to reach UCPD.
- Push the red button on any campus emergency phone to reach the UCPD.
University of Chicago Police Department
The University of Chicago Police Department (UCPD) operates 24/7 on campus and throughout the Hyde Park, Kenwood, Oakland, and Woodlawn neighborhoods. Under an agreement with the Chicago Police Department, the UCPD jurisdiction extends north to 37th Street, south to 64th Street, east to Lake Shore Drive, and west to Cottage Grove Avenue.
The UCPD headquarters is located at 850 East 61st Street, or the department can be reached by calling 123 from a campus phone, 773.702.8181 from any phone, or by pushing the red button on a campus emergency phone.
Chicago Police Department
Near the Gleacher Center, the City of Chicago Police Department holds jurisdiction on police matters. To reach city emergency services, dial 911.
Students, faculty, or staff may contact the Dean-on-Call any time there is a concern or emergency in order to get advice and support in managing the situation. The Dean-on-Call is available 24/7 can be reached through the UCPD dispatch at 773.702.8181 or 123 from any campus phone. They may also be reached through a direct paging system by calling 773.834.HELP (4357) or 4-HELP (4357) from a campus phone and following the prompts.
Sexual Assault Dean-on-Call
The Sexual Assault Dean-on-Call (SADoC) is the University official specifically trained as a Sexual Assault Survivor Advocate through the Illinois Coalition Against Sexual Assault. SADoCs will provide emotional support to students who are victims of sexual violence. SADoCs are available 24/7 can be reached through the UCPD dispatch at 773.702.8181 or 123 from any campus phone. They may also be reached through a direct paging system by calling 773.834.HELP (4357) or 4-HELP (4357) from a campus phone and following the prompts.
Department of Safety and Security
The Department of Safety and Security provides a variety of services for the safety of the University community. These services include:
- The Safety Escort Program, which provides a patrol or security officer to escort University community members to their destination when they are within UCPD’s patrol area.
- The UChicago Safe Mobile Safety App, which is free to download and provides information for emergencies and links to safety resources.
- UGo Daytime and NightRide shuttles around the greater campus area that are free to all University community members.
Annual Security & Fire Safety Report
The University of Chicago’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report is published by October 1 every year. This report contains information about safety resources, crime statistics, University policies and procedures, important safety tips, and other useful information.