September 28, 2021
To: Members of the University Community
From: Eric M. Heath, Associate Vice President for Safety & Security and Michele Rasmussen, Dean of Students in the University
Subject: Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
Date: September 28, 2021
The safety of people on campus and in the surrounding community is a paramount priority for the University of Chicago. In addition to the safety measures that were detailed in the August 16 and September 21 messages to the campus community, the University’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is published annually and contains important safety-related information as required for all universities by federal law. The report includes the following:
- Information regarding transportation on and around campus;
- Safety tips and information on security and crime prevention programs;
- Information regarding the University’s emergency response and communications plans;
- University policies and sanctions, and legal sanctions regarding the sale, possession, and use of alcohol and illegal drugs;
- Information regarding drug and alcohol programs;
- Crime statistics for the three most recent calendar years;
- University programs to prevent sexual violence, the University policy on Harassment, Discrimination, and Sexual Misconduct (which addresses sexual harassment, sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking), and procedures to follow when sexual violence occurs;
- University discipline processes;
- University fire safety report;
- University missing student policy;
- Information regarding reporting of criminal activity; and
- Information regarding the location of a list of registered sex offenders residing in Chicago.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online. Print copies of the publication are also available upon request from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Should you have any questions about this message or the report, please let us know.