June 9, 2014
A major part of the Kennedy Expressway (I-90/94) in downtown Chicago will be closed during Convocation weekend for a bridge demolition. Officials expect severe traffic disruption and have urged drivers to stay clear of I-90/94.
Visitors coming to Hyde Park from Chicago O’Hare International Airport can take I-294 South from the airport, then take I-55 North to Lake Shore Drive, and drive south to the UChicago exits at 53rd St. or 57th St. From the North Side or downtown Chicago, drive south on Lake Shore Drive to the UChicago exits.
The Kennedy Expressway will be closed from 10 p.m. on Friday, June 13 until Monday, June 16 at 5 a.m. No single route will be designated as an alternate, because of the volume of traffic on the expressway. Specific closures are as follows:
- Over Eastbound I-90/94 & Reversible Lanes
- Eastbound I-90/94 mainline (Chicago Avenue to Grand Avenue)
- Westbound Ontario Street to Eastbound I-90/94 Entrance Ramp
- Eastbound I-90/94 to EB Ohio Street Exit Ramp
- Augusta Boulevard Entrance Ramp
- Division Street Entrance Ramp
- Jackson Boulevard Entrance Ramp
Guests travelling to Convocation by car can avoid confusion and congestion on I-90/94 by planning an alternate route and budgeting extra travel time.
More information on the closure is available on the IDOT website.