In the wake of its latest victory, the University of Chicago football team added a new milestone to the program's storied history. The Maroons earned their first-ever national ranking in the modern era on Sunday as they came in at No. 24 in the latest D3football.com poll. UChicago will attempt to climb the rankings when the squad hosts Berry College in a Southern Athletic Association (SAA) conference game on Saturday afternoon.
The Maroons are off to 4-0 start for the third-consecutive year and have won 12 of their past 13 games overall. After last Saturday's 28-14 win at Birmingham-Southern College, the voting panel at D3football.com bumped UChicago up into the Top 25 for the first time in the poll's 13-year history. The American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) currently ranks the Maroons in the Others Receiving Votes category – just three spots away from the Top 25.
Now in his third season, Head Coach Chris Wilkerson sports a record of 18-5 overall (.783 winning percentage). The Maroons also captured their first win against a nationally-ranked team in five years on Sept. 26 when they defeated No. 20-ranked Centre College 49-30.
UChicago vs. Berry College
- DATE/TIME: Saturday, October 10 at Noon – Stagg Field, Chicago, Ill.
- SEASON RECORDS: UChicago 4-0 overall, 3-0 SAA / Berry 4-1 overall, 3-0 SAA
- ALL-TIME SERIES: First-ever meeting
- UCHICAGO RECENT RESULTS: W 28-14 at Birmingham-Southern College (Oct. 3) / W 49-30 vs. Centre College (Sept. 26)
- BERRY RECENT RESULTS: W 20-13 vs. Washington University-St. Louis (Oct. 3) / W 14-3 at Sewanee (Sept. 26)
- UCHICAGO NOTES: Chandler Carroll (RB, So.) currently ranks ninth in NCAA Division III with 685 rushing yards. Over the last two weeks, he has rushed for 556 yards (8.2 yards per carry) and six touchdowns. ... Vincent Beltrano (CB, Sr.) tied a school record with three interceptions at Birmingham-Southern. His 15 career interceptions are tied for the most in school history. ... Burke Moser (QB, Jr.) has thrown for 969 yards, with 11 touchdowns and only two interceptions.
- BERRY NOTES: The Vikings are in their third year of existence as a football program and their four wins this season doubles their victory total from the past two years. ... Over the past three games, Berry has only allowed 16 combined points. ... The Viking defense is tied for sixth in NCAA Division III with 11 interceptions.