The Associate Student Ombudsperson is a part-time, paid position with an average work schedule of 10 hours per week. The position is paid on an hourly basis at a competitive rate. The Associate Student Ombudsperson works closely with the Student Ombudsperson to investigate student grievances when the existing channels of communication or dispute resolution have proven unsatisfactory. Learn more about the Office of the Student Ombudsperson here.
This position is for the 2018-2019 academic year (Autumn, Winter, and Spring Quarters), with the potential opportunity to work during Summer 2018. The specific duties of the Associate Student Ombudsperson are:
- To determine the facts in each case;
- To refer complaints to the appropriate departments of the University;
- To suggest remedial steps in the settlement of a complaint;
- To work with the student and the administrator or faculty member in seeking a satisfactory resolution; and
- To call attention to any injustices and abuses of power or discretion.
Additional responsibilities include assisting the Student Ombudsperson with the smooth functioning of the Office of the Student Ombudsperson and its website and meeting, as needed, with University administrators. Opportunities for professional development are also available.
- Must be a currently enrolled University of Chicago undergraduate, graduate, or professional student.
- Must be in full time academic residency during the term; students who will be studying abroad, on a leave of absence, or otherwise away from their program of study and/or the University’s Hyde Park campus during the upcoming year are ineligible to apply.
- Must be in good academic standing with the University of Chicago.
- Must complete an application and participate in an in-person interview.
Application and Selection Process
Successful applicants will demonstrate maturity, excellent judgment, responsiveness, independence, fair-mindedness, impartiality, extensive knowledge of the University and strong writing skills.
The Dean of Students in the University will review applications. Finalists will be invited for an in-person interview.
Please apply here by Friday, May 18 at 12 p.m.