Landlord/Tenant Issues

Whom do I contact if I have a housing problem and I am living in University housing?

What is the Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance and when does it apply?

The Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance ("Chicago RLTO") is an ordinance that provides a number of important rights and obligations for tenants and landlords.

For more information, on Chicago's housing resources and policies, visit the City of Chicago website.

What is renter's insurance? Should I buy it?

Renter's insurance assures you that you are protected against the damage or loss of personal property when you rent an apartment or a house. In determining whether or not you need renters insurance, the questions you need to ask yourself include how much would it cost to replace your belongings if they were damaged or stolen, and can I afford to replace them without having renters insurance? The following links describe the importance of having renter's insurance.


The relationship between landlord and tenant arises from an agreement called a lease by which one party occupies the real estate of another with the owner's consent.

The Illinois State Bar Association's Guide to Landlord-Tenant Law provides details on the questions below and other information.

What are the types of leases and how may they be terminated?

What are the major lease provisions I may encounter?

What are the customary security deposits I can expect to pay?

Can I sublet my premises?

What may happen if I do not pay my rent?

Further Resources

  • 311 City Services provides assistance with non-emergency City Services and provides information on events, programs, and agencies within the city of Chicago. 
  • The Graduate Council provides attorney office hours to eligible, full-time graduate and professional students in the University of Chicago for advice and consultation regarding legal matters and to make referrals for students who seek legal representation.