September 29, 2023
Dear Members of the University Community,
The safety of people on campus and in the surrounding community is a paramount priority for the University of Chicago. In addition to the safety measures that were detailed in the Autumn Safety Message to the campus community, the University’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains important safety-related information as required for all universities by federal law, including:
- Information regarding transportation on and around campus;
- Safety tips and information on security and crime prevention programs;
- Information regarding the University’s emergency response and communications plans;
- University policies and sanctions, and legal sanctions regarding the sale, possession, and use of alcohol and illegal drugs;
- Information regarding drug and alcohol programs;
- Crime statistics for the three most recent calendar years in University locations and our neighboring communities;
- University programs to prevent sexual violence, the University policy on Harassment, Discrimination, and Sexual Misconduct (which addresses sexual harassment, sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking), and procedures to follow when sexual violence occurs;
- University discipline processes;
- University fire safety report;
- University missing student policy;
- Information regarding reporting of criminal activity; and
- Information regarding the location of a list of registered sex offenders residing in Chicago.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available on the Department of Safety & Security’s website. Print copies of the publication are available upon request from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st St., Chicago, IL 60637.
If you have any questions about this message or the report, please let us know.
Eric M. Heath
Associate Vice President for Safety & Security
Dean of Students in the University