September 20, 2023
To: Chicago-based Students
From: Michele Rasmussen, Dean of Students in the University, and Eric M. Heath, Associate Vice President for Safety & Security
Subject: Transportation Options for Students
Date: September 20, 2023
We want to inform you of the many transportation options available to UChicago students for the 2023-24 academic year. Enabling student access to safe and reliable transportation is a key priority at UChicago. The following services provide options for students to move about and explore campus, Hyde Park, and the city of Chicago.
- Downtown Campus Connector:
- What is it? The connector provides free transportation for students and other members of the University community traveling between the Hyde Park campus, the Gleacher Center, UChicago Medicine clinics, the Roosevelt CTA station, and other downtown Chicago locations.
- What’s new this year? In response to feedback from riders, the Downtown Campus Connector now stops close to Ogilvie and Union stations. To accommodate this change and avoid congestion in Hyde Park, the Downtown Campus Connector’s route has been slightly modified. The route will now take 55th Street/Garfield Boulevard east to reach South Lake Park Avenue.
- When does it run? Service is Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., excluding holidays. Shuttles commence at regularly scheduled 15-minute intervals at Rockefeller Chapel and the Gleacher Center, with approximately 15 to 20 minutes between shuttles at other stops along the route. Students can find real-time location information for all UChicago shuttles on Transloc (also available as a mobile app).
- Additional Shuttle and Bus Options: Numerous UGo shuttles service the greater campus area; shuttles are free to all members of the University community by tapping your ID card. The CTA 171 and CTA 172 buses also service the Hyde Park area and are free for anyone with a University ID card. More information is on the Department of Safety & Security’s website.
- Free Metra 10-ride pass: When Autumn Quarter begins, all enrolled students can sign up on my.uchicago.edu to receive a free 10-ride Metra Electric pass, which is good for Metra Electric trains across all zones. Students are eligible for one 10-ride pass per academic year and must sign up for a Ventra account before claiming a pass. Students have until January 31, 2024 to claim their free 10-ride pass and must use the pass within 90 days of claiming it.
- Lyft Ride Smart Program: Students will soon receive a personalized email invitation to sign up for the Lyft Ride Smart program. Students who signed up last year do not need to reenroll. Through the program, students are eligible for seven free rides per month (up to $10 off per ride) on all evening and late-night rides from 5 p.m. until 4 a.m., seven days a week. Rides must begin and end in the service area.
We encourage students to use UGo shuttles when circumstances allow. Shuttles offer extensive coverage of nearby neighborhoods and provide a sustainable option in terms of environmental impact and cost.
For more information on transportation options, including public transportation, biking, parking, and more, please see this video or visit the transportation section of the Department of Safety and Security’s website. If you have questions about your transportation options, please email email@example.com.
We wish you safe travels and a productive academic year.