The Ombudsperson is a part-time, salaried official of the University, appointed by the President to investigate student grievances when the existing channels of communication or dispute resolution have proven unsatisfactory. The Ombudsperson works, on average, 16.5 hours each week. The Associate Ombudsperson, also part-time, works closely with the Ombudsperson and is paid on an hourly basis. The Associate Ombudsperson works, on average, 10 hours each week. Both positions are paid at a competitive rate.
The specific duties of the Ombudsperson and Associate Student Ombudsperson are:
- to be available to students bringing forward problems, issues and complaints;
- to determine the facts in each case;
- to refer complaints to the appropriate departments of the University;
- to suggest remedial steps in the settlement of a complaint;
- to work with the student and the appropriate administrator or faculty member in seeking a satisfactory resolution;
- and to call attention to any injustices and abuses of power or discretion.
- be a currently enrolled University of Chicago graduate or professional student.
- be in full-time academic residency during the term; students who will be studying abroad, on a leave of absence, or otherwise away from their program of study and/or the University’s Hyde Park campus for any extended period during the upcoming year are ineligible to apply.
- be in good academic standing with the University of Chicago (to be verified with the applicant’s dean of students).
- complete an application and be available to participate in an in-person interview.
Both the Student Ombudsperson and Associate Ombudsperson are responsible for ensuring the smooth functioning of the Office of the Student Ombudsperson and its website, and meeting, as needed, with University administrators. Opportunities for professional development are also available. General administrative support to the Office is provided by Campus and Student Life and the Office of the President.
Application and Selection Process
The application window for the position of Associate Student Ombuds for the 2022-23 academic year is now closed.