Living in a city, you are expected to be aware of your surroundings. We encourage you to make safety practices an important part of all your daily routines.
In Case of Emergency
- Dial 911 to reach city emergency services.
- Dial 123 from any campus phone to reach UCPD.
- Dial 773.702.8181 from any phone to reach UCPD.
- Push the red button on any campus emergency phone to reach the UCPD.
University of Chicago Police Department
The University of Chicago Police Department (UCPD) operates 24/7 on campus and throughout the Hyde Park, Kenwood, Oakland, and Woodlawn neighborhoods. Under an agreement with the Chicago Police Department, the UCPD jurisdiction extends north to 37th Street, south to 64th Street, east to Lake Shore Drive, and west to Cottage Grove Avenue.
The UCPD headquarters is located at 850 East 61st Street, or the department can be reached by calling 123 from a campus phone, 773.702.8181 from any phone, or by pushing the red button on a campus emergency phone.
Chicago Police Department
Near the Gleacher Center, the City of Chicago Police Department holds jurisdiction on police matters. To reach city emergency services, dial 911.
Students, faculty, or staff may contact the Dean-on-Call any time there is a concern or emergency to get advice and support in managing a situation. The Dean-on-Call is available 24/7 and can be reached through the UCPD dispatch at 773.702.8181 or 123 from any campus phone. Be prepared to leave a complete call-back number, including an area code or country code. If you prefer to text the Dean-on-Call directly, utilize the UChicago Safe App to do so. Once you are in the UChicago Safe App, press the UChicago HELP button.
The Dean-on-Call program is a collaborative effort between Campus and Student Life (CSL) and the University of Chicago Police Department (UCPD). UCPD provides dispatch and transportation services for the Dean-on-Call program, and often accompanies the Dean-on-Call when they respond to a student in person.
Sexual Assault Dean-on-Call
The Sexual Assault Dean-on-Call (SADoC) is the University administrator specifically trained in trauma-informed 40+ Hour Sexual Assault Crisis Intervention. This administrator is available 24/7. The Sexual Assault Dean-on-Call provides emotional and administrative support to students who are survivors of gender-based violence.
A student can contact the Sexual Assault Dean-on-Call at any time by calling the UCPD Dispatch at 773.702.8181 and asking UCPD to page the Sexual Assault Dean-on-Call. Students should be prepared to provide a complete call-back number, including area code or country code. The Sexual Assault Dean-on-Call can also be reached via text through the UChicago Safe App. Once in the UChicago Safe App, press the UChicago HELP button and a text option will be provided. A student may contact the Sexual Assault Dean-on-Call even if the student has not yet decided whether to report the incident to the police or to receive guidance and support in helping a peer or friend.
Department of Safety and Security
The Department of Safety and Security provides a variety of services for the safety of the University community. These services include:
- The Safety Escort Program, which provides a patrol or security officer to escort University community members to their destination when they are within UCPD’s patrol area.
- The UChicago Safe Mobile Safety App, which is free to download and provides information for emergencies and links to safety resources.
- Lyft Ride Smart at UChicago offers students 10 free rides per month (up to $15 off per ride) on all late-night rides within the service area during the program hours, 5 p.m. until 4 a.m.
- UGo Daytime and NightRide shuttles around the greater campus area that are free to all University community members.
Annual Security & Fire Safety Report
The University of Chicago’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report is published by October 1 every year. This report contains information about safety resources, crime statistics, University policies and procedures, important safety tips, and other useful information.