The University-wide Standing Disciplinary Committee on Disruptive Conduct (Disruptive Conduct Committee) is a standing committee appointed by the Office of the Provost and includes faculty, staff, and students specifically tasked with addressing reported allegations that a student has engaged in disruptive conduct, i.e., conduct that falls outside of the principles of free expression and meets the definition supplied by Statute 21. Using the preponderance of evidence standard, the Committee evaluates evidence to determine whether a student respondent has violated University policy and determines appropriate sanctions, as necessary. The Associate Dean of Students in the University for Disciplinary Affairs works closely with the Committee and encourages students to apply for membership.
- Student representatives must be a current College, graduate, or professional student at the University of Chicago.
- Students must be enrolled and in good standing in their academic program, and will be physically present on or near the Hyde Park campus for the duration of their appointment on the Committee.
- If appointed to the Committee, students will be required to attend all educational sessions to learn how the Committee operates and what would be expected of them as a member.
- Students who are not present or actively engaged in the Committee may lose member status.
- Terms for the Committee expire at the conclusion of the 2021-22 academic year, with the possibility of reappointment.
Application and Selection Process
Every year, the Committee seeks students (representing the College, graduate divisions, and professional schools) to serve a term of one academic year. This is a highly- regarded position and serving as a student member of the Committee requires demonstrating the utmost level of confidentiality and professionalism.
The Office of Disciplinary Affairs will review applications and select individuals will be invited for an interview, which will be conducted remotely. The Office of the Dean of Students will nominate student representatives to the Office of the Provost for potential appointment.
The application period for the 2021-2022 academic year has passed.
Questions about the Committee or your application? Please contact Campus and Student Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.